Settlers first moved into the northeastern reaches of New York’s Catskill Mountains in the 1780s, and the town of Windham was formed along the banks of the Batavia Kill in 1798. Tanneries, sawmills and gristmills eventually sprouted along the watercourse. By 1851, the original expanse of Windham was divided to create six additional towns: Ashland, Halcott, Hunter, Jewett, Lexington and Prattsville. Windham’s current population of 1,703 reads small on paper, but what the diminutive domicile lacks in bulk it makes up for in hospitality, amenities and outdoor recreation.

[continued...]

View full post on dirtragmag.com